Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Good Day, Milligan!
Proverbs 21:15 – When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.
This is Tuesday, April 21, 2015, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1881 Josephus Hopwood (1843-1935; president 1881-1903, 1915-1917), in laying the cornerstone for a new classroom building at the Buffalo Male and Female Institute, dedicated the building ”to the cause of Christian education” and announced that the building’s new name would be “Milligan College.” Cynthia Ann Cornwell (1985): Beside the Waters of the Buffalo: A History of Milligan College to 1941. Milligan College History Project: Milligan College, TN, 1989, p. 18
1961 The Stampede announced the results of recent student government elections for the 1961-62 school year: Student Council President: Tom Barkes (1962), who ran unopposed; Vice President, Marshall Hayden (1963); Men’s Dorm Council President Leon Hopson (1962); Women’s Dorm Council President Barbara Doxen (1962); Commuter’s Council President Annas Thompson. The Stampede, April 21, 1961, p.1
1989 The Milligan College Board of Trustees approved the purchase of the Taylor property – “the cow pasture next to the baseball field.” The Stampede reported that the new land was to be turned into a soccer field. The property had belonged at one point to Tennessee Governor Alfred Alexander Taylor (1848-1931; governed 1921-1923), a Happy Valley native and an alumnus of the Buffalo Male and Female Institute. The highway that runs by the house is Gov. Alf Taylor Road. The Stampede, Volume 53, No. 5, May, 1989
1999 The Stampede reported that Milligan’s 300 work study students had said “bye-bye” to time sheets and “hello” to punch-in clocks to record their working hours. Personnel Director Linda Lawson (1971) hailed the change as a way to get everyone paid in a more efficient manner. Lawson reported that Milligan was one of the first to adopt the punch-clocks. “This is something everybody wants, but nobody has. We will probably be forging new ground.” The Stampede, April 21, 1999.
2006 President Donald R. Jeanes (1968, Fide et Amore, ΦΑΘ, president 1997-2011) made an announcement of a truly watershed nature during the lunch hour in McCormick Dining Hall. Due to persuasive arguments from the SGA, the Board of Directors agreed to overturn a policy that had been in effect at Milligan College since 1866 by agreeing to allow students to hold dances on the campus!
2006 The Milligan College Concert Choir closed out its season with a performance of the Fauré Requiem. Joining Prof. John Wakefield (Milligan 1974-1980 and 1998-2009) and the choir was the Milligan College Orchestra, under direction of Prof. Kellie Brown (Milligan since 1998). Piano accompanist for the choir was sophomore Kylie Thiel (2008); organist was Prof. David Runner (Milligan since 1972).
2006 Milligan College officially instated a minor in journalism. Prof. Jim Dahlman (1980; Milligan since 1999) had made the formal proposal to the Academic Committee which approved it and handed it on the Board of Trustees for final approval. The new minor required 20 hours.
2006 The women’s track team of Milligan College finished second behind rival King College in the Appalachian Athletic Conference Championships. Sophomore Kortney Goulds (ΦΑΘ, 2008) captured first place victories in the 800-meter and 1500 meter runs, and ran a leg of the winning 4×400-meter relay. That broke the school record. Other members of the 4×400 team were freshmen Kristen Bartlett (2009) and Jacklyn Talbert (2009) and sophomore Brittany Bales (2008). Talbert gained two AAC second place finishes in the 800 and 1500 meters. Also finishing well in the 800 meters were sophomore Lindsey Davis (2009) fourth place, freshman Kim Hogan (2009) in sixth. In the women’s 5,000-meter run, senior Marta Zimon (2006) finished second, while freshman Nicole Moore (2009) took fifth. Megan Allen (2006) followed in sixth place with a time of 21.09.79. In the men’s races, Chris Wright (2006) completed his season debut in the 5,000-meter run with a second place finish and a time of 15.12.55, a mere half second away from the qualifying time for nationals. Junior Jair Collie (2007) took a fourth place finish in the 800-meter run in 2.01.30 and ran a personal best time of 4.10.30 in the 1,500-meter run, placing fifth. Freshman Will Frye (2009) ran the meet’s opening event, the 3,000-meter steeple chase, capturing an AAC first-place victory with a time of 10.40.36.
Birthdays: In 1816 Charlotte Brontë in Thornton, Bradford in Yorkshire, England . . . in 1838 John Muir in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland . . . in 1881 Milligan College (see above) . . . in 1926 Queen Elizabeth II in London . . . in 1864 Max Weber in Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany . . . in 1995 Milligan College sophomores Cassidy Grace Gibson . . . and Devan Scott Watts in Charlotte, NC . . . and in 1996 freshman Taylor Scott Rei Hatmaker.
Elsewhere . . .
In 733 BC, according to venerable tradition, the City of Rome was founded.
In 1649 the Toleration Act in Maryland protected Roman Catholics within the American colony against Protestant harassment.
In 1689 the English Parliament proclaimed William III and Mary II joint-monarchs.
In 1828 Noah Webster published the first dictionary of American English.
In 1878 Pope Leo XIII issued “Inscrutabili dei consilio,” reversing some of the policies of his reactionary predecessor Pope Pius IX.
Do you know of an event in Milligan History that should appear here? Tell firstname.lastname@example.org.