Today in Milligan History, 1/22

Today in Milligan History

an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society

 

Good Day, Milligan!

Proverbs 22:15 – Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.

This is Thursday, January 22, 2015, and on this day in Milligan history . . . 

1909    W. P. Crouch delivered an address in the Milligan College’s daily chapel service entitled “Living by Losing.” Crouch was the father of former New Testament professor, Owen L. Crouch (at Milligan 1953-1970) and the grandfather of alumni James Crouch (1957) and Lorna Crouch (1966).  W.P. Crouch’s father, H. H. Crouch, helped build the Buffalo Institute building.  Milligan College “New Horizon,” Volume I, No. vi, Catalogue Number 1909-1910; and correspondence with Lorna Crouch and Clint Holloway (1995)..

1912    The owners of the tannery in nearby Watauga decided to abandon their plant. State and county taxes had risen to an unbearable $300 per year. This was the last industry remaining of Watauga’s boom days. Fifty men had worked in the tannery for twenty years. Howard N. Campbell, Watauga: An Unusual History of the Watauga, Tennessee area, the Birthplace of Democracy in the World as We Know It Today (Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986), p. 343

1985    On a day like this in 1985 Milligan College students were reading the Milligan Rag, a purportedly student-produced, albeit anonymous, “underground” newspaper specializing in satire, and being, by its own account, “a form of dissent.” Subject matter included complaints about the “over and under” faculty (overworked and underpaid), alleged authoritarian attitudes of college administrators, unhealthy conformity among the student body, and of course cafeteria food.  None of the uniformly well-written, thoughtful, often (but not always) humorous articles carried signatures, but readers could, and did, respond to a Johnson City Post Office Box address, and “The Rag” published reader responses in each issue. Some readers chastised the “Rag” for being overly critical, to which an anonymous editor responded,   “We don’t criticize because we hate, but because we love.”  Some criticized the anonymity of the “Rag;” President Marshall Leggett allegedly claimed that he refused to read anything that was unsigned.  Milligan Rag’s response: “Who was the author of Hebrews? We can’t recall the signature.”  Phi Alpha Theta has been able to review five editions of Milligan Rag, none of which are dated, but a statement in one issue that “Mondale was obviously the better choice for the Presidency” probably nails the date of issue down to January 1985. Who can tell Phi Alpha Theta more about Milligan Rag? Who is willing, thirty years after the fact, to shed light on an interesting part of Milligan’s history and heritage?

2014    In the Tuesday morning Convocation Milligan College formally installed Area Chair of Education Prof. Lynn Howell, (Milligan since 2001) in the newly endowed Paul Clark Chair of Teacher Education. Endowment for the chair came from Milligan alumnus and long-time member of the Board of advisors, representing Plainfield, IN, Christian Church, Kenneth Richardson (1958) and his wife Revenna Richardson. Also present for the ceremony were the Richardsons’ daughters, Amy Richardson Lincks (1990) and Deborah; and Prof. Howell’s husband, Bo Howell, who read from 1 Corinthians for the occasion. The Richardsons’ gift honored Professor Paul Clark (1928-1998; Fide & Amore; Milligan 1965-1997), whom President William B. Greer (1985; Milligan since 1994; president since 2011) described in his comments as “the father of teacher education at Milligan.  Dr. Clark’s vision and leadership led to the College’s initial accreditation with the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the expansion of the education curriculum, and the development of the Master of Education program.”

Birthdays:  In 1561 Francis Bacon at York House, Strand, London, England. . . in 1729 Gotthold Ephraim Lessing in Kamenz, Saxony, Germany . . . in 1788 George Gordon, Lord Byron, in London, England. . . in 1904 George Balanchine in St. Petersburg, Russia . . . and in 1995 Milligan College sophomore Emmanuel Rojas.

Elsewhere:

In 1821 the Ohio legislature authorized construction of the state’s first mental hospital.

In 1882 the Fifth Street Presbyterian Church of Troy, NY, became the first church to be illuminated by electric lighting.

In 1901, after 63 years of featuring Queen Victoria on its postage stamps, the United Kingdom issued the King Edward VII series

In 1938 Thornton Wilder’s Our Town premiered.

In 1968 “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In” premiered on NBC-TV

 

 Do know of something that deserves mention here? Drop a note to  phialphatheta@milligan.edu.