Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Milligan College is experiencing a two-hour delay today because of cold and ice.
Good Day, Milligan!
Proverbs 18:15 – The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out.
This is Wednesday, February 18, 2015, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1795 The first meeting of the Board of Trustees of Greeneville College took place in the home of John Stinson in Greeneville, TN. It was an august meeting. Four of those present went on to become college presidents (Rev. Samuel Doak of Washington College; Rev. Hezekiah Balk of Greeneville College; Samuel Carrick of Blount College; and Gideon Blackburn of Centre College); two became governors of Tennessee (Archibald Roane and John Sevier); four were founding trustees of other Tennessee colleges (William Cocke, Joseph Hamilton, Roane, and Sevier, and of Blount College; Landon Carter, Daniel Kennedy, and John Rhea of Washington College); six had Tennessee counties named for them: Carter, Cocke, Hardin, Roane, Rhea and Sevier. Joseph T. Fuhrman, The Life and Times of Tusculum College (Greeneville, TN: Tusculum College, 1986), p. 16.
1901 Milligan College students could ride into Johnson City or into Elizabethton – indeed, all the way to Cranberry, North Carolina – on the ET&WNC “Tweetsie” Railroad for three cents a mile. They could catch the train at a “flag stop” within walking distance of the campus. A Milligan alumnus, ET&WNC Superintendent George Duffield Williams Hardin (1882), who turned the ET&WNC Railroad into a profitable company, increased passenger service when he brought the passenger price down from four cents to three cents a mile. Hardin Hall is named for this alumnus, board member, and faithful friend of the college. John R. Waite, “George Hardin, Superintendent of the E&WNC,” in The Stemwinder, A Journal of Southern Appalachian Narrow-Gauge Railroading, Vol. 4, No. 3, Winter, 1992. p. 3-6.
1912 Milligan College personnel filled pulpits in the surrounding area. On this Sunday a certain “Rev. Keplinger, of Milligan College, the pastor of the Christian church of Watauga, filled his regular appointment.” Howard N. Campbell, Watauga: An Unusual History of the Watauga, Tennessee area, the Birthplace of Democracy in the World as We Know It Today (Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986), p. 344.
1940 On this Sunday afternoon Milligan College professor Sam Jack Hyder and a technician from WJHL Radio in Johnson City had once again, as they did every Sunday during the school year, transformed the college chapel into a radio studio, in which Professor Edward Lodter hosted the “Milligan College Hour of the Air.” Lodter’s wife, Carsie Hyder Lodter (1940) recalls that her husband played on a Wurlitzer organ that had originally provided background music for silent pictures in the Majestic Theater in Johnson City. When “talkies” made the organ obsolete, the Majestic’s owner, Mrs. George W. Keys, donated it to Milligan where it was installed in the chapel in the Administration Building (now Derthick Hall) as the “George W. Keys Memorial Organ.” Mrs. Lodter’s father, Prof. Hyder, was instrumental in getting Milligan to provide the live broadcast as a gift to the community. Columnist Bob Cox speculates that “The Milligan College Hour of the Air” was WJHL’s first regular on-site remote broadcast. Bob Cox, “’Milligan College Hour of the Air’ featured majestic organ”,” Johnson City Press, History/Heritage, June 28, 2010, p. 4a.
2010 Milligan College Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing Lee Fierbaugh (1994, Milligan since 1994) announced figures for the Spring, 2010 semester. The total headcount for students enrolled at Milligan College was 1,019, compared to 1,003 for the previous year. Overall undergraduate retention from fall to spring was 94.6%. Milligan College e-mail, February 18, 2010.
2012 Four Milligan College students received “Addies” at the awards banquet of the American Advertising Federation. Gretchen Allie and Jenna Swett each took an Addy for photography; Kelsey Ellis took one for Publication Design; and Micky Brown one for “Out-of-Home Advertising.” They were the students of professors Art Brown (Milligan since 2009), Mark Peacock (Milligan since 1998) and Carrie Swanay (Milligan 1990-1998 and since 1999). Institutionally, Milligan also fared well. The AAF recognized the Milligan Magazine with a Gold Addy (editor: Theresa Garbe (1991); Chandrea Shell (2000), assistant editor; Art Brown, graphic designer; Melissa Nipper (1996), writer; Matt Laws (Milligan since 2010), sports writer; Mark Peacock, cover; Peter Nelson and Andrew Hopper (2004), photographers; and the college’s Admissions Viewbook, produced by Lee Fierbaugh (1994, Milligan since 1994)), Tracy Brinn (1994, Milligan since 1995), the Admissions Staff, Chandrea Shell, Art Brown, Mark Peacock, and Peter Nelson, also received an Addy.
2014 Milligan College alumnus Daniel Dabney (2002) returned to the campus to speak in the Tuesday convocation on “Worthy of the Calling.” Dabney was serving as worship pastor at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY.
Birthdays: In 1516 Queen Mary I (aka “Bloody Mary”) in Greenwich, England . . . in 1859 Sholem Aleichem (born Solomon Rabinowitz]) in Pereyaslav, Ukraine . . . in 1890 Boris L Pasternak in Moscow . . . in 1931 Toni Morrison in Lorain, OH.
Elsewhere . . .
In 1678 John Bunyan published Pilgrim’s Progress.
In 1688 a group of Quakers and Mennonites meeting in Germantown, PA, became the first body of European-Americans to formally protest slavery – the “Germantown Protest.”
In 1867 Georgia Baptists established the Augusta Institute which in 1913 changed its name to Morehouse College.
Do you know of an event, a birthday, an anniversary that deserves mention here? Drop a note to email@example.com.