Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Good day, Milligan!
Proverbs 14:12 – “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.”
This is Friday, September 14, 2012, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1940 Coach Steve Lacy’s thundering football herd entered the football game as underdogs, outweighed ten pounds to the man, with a week’s less practice behind them, pitted against a veteran squad from Austin Peay State College. But the victory went to the Milligan, 12-0. That 1940 Buffalo Herd included Charles E. “Bud” Akard (1942), Ed Bireley (1947), Mug Bireley, William “Pretty Boy” Blackwell , Hugh “Red” Blessing (1943), John Henry “Baldy” Bradshaw (attended 1940-41), Bo “Flash” Brummitt (1942), Hope Ray Burton (1941), F. Garland Caffee (att.1940-41), Raymond “Sugar” Cure (1942), Charles D’Agata (1949), Mike Houston Davis (1942), Fred “Jo-Jo” Dellinger (1941), co-captain Bob Easterling (1941), Edwin B. “Tater” Fox (1941), Robert Haynes “Pie” Garner (att.1940-1942), Shelby Jett (1943), Kenneth Kennedy (att.1939-41), Herman Lane (att. 1940-1943), James E. “Mr.” Penney, Robert Edward “Shag” Rice (1941),co-captain James “Fatty” Riggs (1941), “Big Blond” Bill Showalter (1943), Frank Spraker (1947), Harold Johnson “Blondy” Stone (1942), Norman Walker (att. 1940-41), Bernie “Spike” Webb (1942), and H. M. “Shorty” Williams (att.1940-41). The Stampede, September 30, 1940; and the 1941 Buffalo.
1956 Four new professors faced students on this first day of classes at Milligan College. Dr. Orvel C. Crowder taught as associate professor of Humanities; Richard Galloway was the new head of the Music Department. Mr. Ingles’ arena was the library, located at that time in Derthick 208-210. Byron Cecil Lambert taught English. The Stampede, October 10, 1957, p.1 and The Milligan College Bulletin: Announcements for 1956-57.
1989 An annexation ordinance from the City of Elizabethton extended the city limits to include Milligan College, Emmanuel School of Religion, the Overlook Apartments and the Meadowview Trailer Park, all situated along the Milligan Highway. The Stampede, Volume 54, No. 1, October 6, 1989
1995 Milligan College’s Welshimer Memorial Library and all faculty offices were hooked up to the Internet. Two years of laying fiber optic cable, purchasing and installing equipment, and wiring rooms throughout the campus came to fruition. The $1.3 million expense for this new development was covered by several key grants and a private gift from alumnus J. Henry Kegley (1941), a business and civic leader from Bristol, VA. Milligan College partnered with King College, Virginia Intermont College, Emory & Henry College, and the Bristol Regional Medical Center to form the Holston Academic Libraries (HAL) system and to obtain an affordable Internet connection. Elizabethton Star, September 14, 1995.
2001 The Four Fried Chickens and a Coke Club met for the first time at the Pardner’s Barbeque Restaurant in Piney Flats, TN. Led by SGA Food Chancellor Kent Pettit (2003) and SGA President Nevan Hooker (2003), the club racked up an unusually large bill close to $1000, all due to a misunderstanding when the event was booked. President Donald R. Jeanes (1968, ΦAΘ, president 1997-2011) was there, however, to save the day. Pettit spent the rest of the semester in innovative money-raising efforts to cover the debt.
Birthdays: In 1883 Charles Earl Burns (1883-1975), who served as President of Milligan College 1940-1944. What is mortal of President Burns lies in the Williams Cemetery behind the Baker Faculty Office Center (the FOB) . . . in 1993 Milligan College sophomore Shelby Esterle . . . and in 1994 Milligan freshmen Anna Catherine Henson and Michaela Elizabeth Hickman.
Elsewhere . . .
In 1741, after twenty-four frenetic days of activity, George Frederick Handel put the final notes to The Messiah.
In 1901 Theodore Roosevelt became President of the United States of America upon the death of assassinated President William McKinley.
In 1948 Milton Berle started his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
In 1975 Pope Paul VI canonized Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton (1774-1821), the first native-born American citizen to become a saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
Do you know something that happened on this day in Milligan history? Is this the birthday of a Milligan personality? The anniversary of a Milligan event? If so, send it to Phi Alpha Theta at email@example.com.