Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Good Day, Milligan!
Proverbs 30:11-13 – “There are those who curse their fathers and do not bless their mothers; those who are pure in their own eyes and yet are not cleansed of their filth; those whose eyes are ever so haughty, whose glances are so disdainful . . . .
This is Monday, September 30, 2013, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1861 Carter County Bridge-Burners – Part V. Union General George H. Thomas, after having consulted with President Abraham Lincoln and Carter County, TN, minister, Rev. William Blount Carter, wrote from Washington, DC, to Union General George B. McClellan at Camp Dick Robinson in Kentucky. Carter had convinced Lincoln and Thomas that citizens of Carter County could destroy the grand trunk rail line through Tennessee if Washington would supply “a small sum of money.” Disruption of the rail would slow the insurgence of southern soldiers into Virginia. Thomas urged McClellan to assist the Carter County bridge-burners. Cameron Judd, Bridge Burners: A True Adventure of East Tennessee’s Underground Civil War (Johnson City, TN: Overmountain Press, 1996), p. 32.
1864 A skirmish near Maglin Sherfey’s brick house about two and a half miles east of Johnsons [sic] Depot, TN (now Johnson City) saw Union forces drive Confederate soldiers closer to Carter’s Depot (now Watauga), TN. Howard N. Campbell, Watauga: An Unusual History of the Watauga, Tennessee area, the Birthplace of Democracy in the World as We Know It Today (Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics), 1986, pp. 6-7.
1940 The Stampede announced the resignation of President Henry J. Derthick, and the appointment of Charles E. Burns (1883-1975), formerly head of the Social Science Department, as president of Milligan College. Derthick had served as Milligan’s president since 1917. The new administration and faculty included Kathleen Adams Bowman as Dean of Women, Prof. J. Fred Holly (1937) in social science, and Wilma Dickinson in the Education and Art department. Florence Anthony Burns, the president’s wife, was in charge of the Boarding Department. The Stampede, September 30, 1940.
1953 The freshman class elected officers: President Jack Leimbach (1957), Vice-President Gene Bowers, Secretary Sue Ellis, and Treasurer Patsy Masters (1957). The Stampede October 15, 1953
1960 Donna Kay Dial’s (1962) first issue of The Stampede for the 1960-61 school year appeared. Dial was editor-in-chief supported by Anita Hiner (1961), Assistant Editor, and J. J. Wiggins (1961), Business Manager. Managing editor was Martha Sue Orr (1961).
1965 The first issue of The Stampede for 1965-66 came off the presses. Editor-in-Chief was Ann Douffas (1966), assisted by News editor Gayle-Sue Harrison (1967), Features Editor Margaret Walker (1967), and Sports Editors Mike Hammond (1969) and Fred Fields (1966). The Stampede, September 30, 1965, p. 2.
Birthdays: In 1921 Deborah Kerr in Helensburg, Scotland . . . in 1924 Truman Capote in New Orleans, LA . . . in 1936 Jim Sasser in Memphis, TN . . . in 1943 Jody Powell in Cordele, GA . . . and in 1994 Milligan College sophomore Megan Lynn Bare.
In 1452 Johann Gutenberg brought a Bible off his movable-type printing press.
In 1938 in Munich, England, France, and Italy agreed that Czechoslovakia must surrender its western lands to Hitler’s Germany.
In 1939 Hitler and Stalin agreed to split Poland between Germany and the USSR.
In 1949, after 277,000 flights, the Berlin Airlift ended.
In 1962 James Meredith registered for classes at the University of Mississippi.
In opera history: Mozart’s The Magic Flute premiered in Vienna in 1791; and Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess premiered in Boston in 1935.
In TV history: In 1960, on Howdy Doody’s last show, Clarabelle finally said something: “Goodbye Kids;” and that very night The Flintstones premiered on ABC, TV’s first prime-time animated show.
Do you know something about Milligan’s history and heritage that should appear here? Drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filed under: Today in Milligan History