Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Good Day, Milligan!
Proverbs 23:13-14 – Do not withhold discipline from children; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die. Punish them with the rod and save them from death.
This is Wednesday, April 23, 2014, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1869 Eleven charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Johnson City. City of Johnson City Community Relations Department, “An Historic Tour of Johnson City, Tennessee, second edition, May 2006.
1949 Milligan College hosted the Milligan College Relays. Competing track teams from Wafford College, Roanoke College, East Tennessee State College joined with several high school squads: Science Hill in Johnson City, and both high schools from Bristol – Tennessee and Virginia. The Stampede, April 15, 1949
1951 Milligan College President Dean E. Walker (1899-1988; president 1950-1968; chancellor 1968-1988) turned the first shovelful of earth for the new Student Union Building, which was to be built primarily with volunteer, student labor. The golden shovel then passed to Frank Hannah, Sr., Board President; Dr. Donald G. Sahli, Dean; T.P. Jones (1951) and Joseph “Randy” Cooper (1952), followed by the presidents of each class. Prof. Sam Jack Hyder (1892-1970), served as General Building Contractor; Dean McCracken was construction superintendent. The building, now remodeled, goes under the name Lowell W. Paxson Communication Center. Clinton Jack Holloway (1995), Age Deo Fide et Amore: A History of Milligan College 1940-1966. (Unpublished thesis, Emmanuel School of Religion, 1998), p. 54. and The Stampede, October 31, 1952
2010 At 11:00 a.m. ceremonies Milligan College dedicated the new Gilliam Wellness Center. Richard and Leslie Gilliam and their family were present, as well as the other significant donors, Denny and Cindy Mayes.
2012 Instructor of Developmental Studies and Composition Grete Scott (2004, Milligan since 2010) gave birth to Oliver Marshall Scott (born on Shakespeare’s birthday!) at 7:16 p.m. Young Mr. Scott weighed in at 7 lb. 11 oz., and stretched out to 21 inches.
Birthdays: In 1564 William Shakespeare in Stratford-on-Avon, England . . . in 1775 Joseph Mallord William Turner in London, England. . . in 1891 Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev in Sontsovska, Ukraine. (According to the ‘old style’ Julian calendar Prokofiev’s birthday was April 11.)
In A.D. 34, according to calculations by Sir Isaac Newton, Pontius Pilate authorized the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth.
In 1945 Allied forces liberated the Flossenbürg Concentration Camp where, on April 9, prisoner Dietrich Bonhoeffer had died.
In 1968 the 10.3 million-member Methodist Church and the 750,000-member Evangelical United Brethren Church joined together to form the United Methodist Church, the second largest Protestant denomination in the United States (after the Southern Baptists).
In 1971 Columbia University students went on strike and shut down the school.
In 1985 “New Coke” debuted. Whose idea was that?
In 1992 McDonald’s opened its first fast-food restaurant in China.
In 1997 Titanic opened at Lunt-Fontanne Theater in New York City.
What do you know about Milligan’s history and heritage that should appear here? Drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.