/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;}
Today in Milligan History
an ongoing project of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Good day, Milligan!
Proverbs 29:12 – “If a ruler listens to lies, all his officials become wicked.”
This is Thursday, November 29, 2012, and on this day in Milligan history . . .
1933 After a period of several years during which State Teachers’ College (now ETSU) and Milligan refused to play each other in football, the two schools agreed to meet for a gridiron contest. Previously, matches between the schools had ended up in unsportsmanlike activity from fans on both sides. The Stampede reported that the cause for the bad behavior was not caused altogether by students, but by “outsiders who had taken sides first with John Barleycorn.” The front page of The Stampede carried a letter from State Teacher’s Chairman of Student Activities, pleading for both sides to adhere to the rules of fair play and decorum. The Stampede, November 17, 1933
1934 Milligan College football won the Smokey Mountain Conference Championship, defeating Teachers’ College at Roosevelt Stadium14-0. Frank Taylor (1938) and Luke Gaffin (1935) were outstanding players under Coach Steve Lacy (1931). In the regular season Milligan had also played teams from Leas-McRae, Appalachian State, Hiwassee, King, and Mars Hill. The season record was six wins, one tie, and two losses. The Stampede, November 30, 1934
1957 The Stampede reported that the Milligan College library had gratefully received the personal library of P. H. Welshimer (1873-1957), who had been for fifty years the pastor of Canton, OH’s influential First Christian Church. The library at the time was housed in only two rooms of Derthick Hall (Rooms 208-210). The current library, built in 1962, carries Welshimer’s name. The Welshimer Room in the library holds part of his personal library. The Stampede, November 29, 1957. Submitted by ΦΑΘ Kylie Thiel
1968 At a 3:30 p.m. ceremony, Milligan College Chancellor Dean E. Walker (1899-1988) passed the Presidential Medallion to Board Chairman Steve Lacy (1931), who then invested Jess W. Johnson (1918 -2008) with the Insignia of Office of the presidency of Milligan College. Johnson became Milligan’s twelfth chief executive officer when the college’s Board of Directors appointed him in November 1967 to succeed President Dean E. Walker on June 15, 1968. Since 1959 Johnson had ministered with First Christian Church in Johnson City. Johnson served as Milligan’s president1968-1982. Clinton Jack Holloway (1995), Age Deo Fide et Amore: A History of Milligan College 1940-1966. (Unpublished thesis, Emmanuel School of Religion, 1998), p. 50 and The Mill-Agenda, Vol. 19, November 1968.
2007 Milligan College installed four professors in named chairs during a historic academic convocation in Seeger Chapel. Dr. Melinda Collins (Milligan since 1994) was seated in the Mountain States Health Alliance Chair of Nursing; Dr. Timothy Dillon (ΦAΘ, 1975; Milligan since 1982) was named to the Henry and Emerald Webb Chair of History, a chair recently vacated by retiring Prof. W. Dennis Helsabeck, Jr. (ΦΑΘ, at Milligan 1982-84, 1989-2007 retirement, and in an adjunct capacity ever since); Dr. Philip Kenneson (Milligan since 1992) occupied the Kenneth E. Starkey Chair of Bible and Christian Ministries, previously held by Dr. R. David Roberts (1964; at Milligan 1982-2006) and Dr. Jack L. Knowles (1969; Milligan 1970-2010 retirement, and as adjunct since), was recognized in the George and Janet Arnold Chair of Humanities.
Birthdays: In 1823 Samuel Shelburne, “Evangelist” and “Milligan Houseparent” according to the grave stone in the Williams Cemetery . . . in 1832 Louisa May Alcott in Germantown, PA . . . in 1898 C. S. Lewis in Belfast, Ireland . . . in 1912 John Marks Templeton in Winchester, TN . . . in 1939 former United States Congressman (TN-First District) William Jenkins in Detroit, MI.
Elsewhere . . .
In 1780 the Congregational Church in Connecticut licensed Lemuel Haynes, 27, to preach, making him the first African American minister to be certified by a predominantly white denomination.
In 1944 the first open heart surgery was performed at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
In 1964 the Roman Catholic Church in the United States started celebrating the mass in English rather than Latin.
Do you have something that would interest readers of “Today in Milligan History”? Drop a note to email@example.com.